Wednesday, November 30, 2011

I Love Eating Horses

I came across an article recently which stated that Obama has apparently legalized slaughtering horses for the sake of eating them, or something like that. I didn't pay much attention (article here). The fate of the horses is irrelevant, mostly because I don't care about horses at all. What's interesting is how people responded to this.


So who's up for a Seabiscuit Burger?

I like eating meat. The idea of slaughtering something and feasting on its remains really doesn't bother me that much because that's kind of how most animals work. Obviously vegetarians and organizations like PETA would disagree with me, because they're more fond of animals than I am, and that's understandable. Also obvious is the fact that most people don't look at a horse and think "Yeah it's pretty and all, but it would look better if it was roasted and covered in seasoning." Needless to say, when a friend of mine on Facebook posted the aforementioned horse article, a few people flipped out. Comments included "thats wrong," and "this is so wrong!! :( ," which is extremely insightful. Further investigation (Facebook stalking) revealed these commenters to be avid equestrian aficionados. 

As a human being, I can see why a person who's fond of horses would be upset if they were presented with a horse salad. I myself am a fan of dogs, and subsequently I wouldn't last a day in Vietnam because I'm fairly confident they eat dogs there. However, from an objective point of view, there isn't a big difference between eating a dog, a cow, or a horse. Dogs have been domesticated and hold the prestigious title of "man's best friend," making the very thought of eating them repulsive in America. The Vietnamese couldn't give less of a shit and don't see anything wrong with eating them. Likewise, India as a country is pretty fond of cows, and doesn't really view them as a viable dietary option because of that whole "cows are sacred" thing. Americans also like cows, but only when they look like this.


Mmmm...grilled Hindu deity.

Sure, horses and dogs are generally seen as pets in America. But from an objective point of view, there's no reason why shoving My Little Pony into a meat grinder is somehow worse than shoving in Bessy the cow or Old Yeller. Sure, if Obama legalized eating dogs, I'd be pretty upset too. But think of it this way: somewhere in the world, there's a lonely pig enthusiast who cries every time he sees someone eating a bacon cheeseburger. Talk to him about your horses and see if he gives a shit.


WILBER!!! Oh God, WHY?!?

1 comment: